Documents required for GST Registration Cancellation
- Application for Cancellation in Form GST REG-14;
- Grounds for seeking cancellation; and
- Any other documents that may be prescribed by the Board from time to time.
Voluntary GST Cancellation
If a person or entity with GST registration wishes to cancel their GST registration, they must submit a cancellation request in Form GST REG-16. After reviewing the application, if the GST Officer is satisfied, he or she will issue an order to terminate GST registration in Form GST REG-19. Some of the top reasons for voluntary GST registration cancellation are when a business is transferred, when a business is amalgamated, when a business merges, when a business leases or when there is a change in the constitution of the business.
Cancellation by GST Officer
If an officer has grounds to cancel a GST registration, the officer will issue a show-cause notice in Form GST REG-17. The show-cause notice will ask the person who registered the goods or service to provide evidence that they are no longer using the goods or service. If the person does not respond to the show-cause notice, then the officer may take appropriate action, such as suspending or cancelling the registration.
If a taxpayer has failed to file GST returns
continuously, or if an assessee has voluntarily registered for GST but did not start a business within six months, an GST officer can start the cancellation process. If the registered taxpayer has broken one or more sections of the GST Act or its Rules, or if the GST registration is obtained through deception or malicious misrepresentation, then the officer may start the cancellation process.
When is GST Registration Cancellation required
As per the GST law, a registered person can cancel their registration voluntarily under certain conditions. These conditions are as follows:
- The registered person has not undertaken any business activity since registration; or
- The aggregate turnover of the registered person during a financial year is below the threshold limit prescribed for compulsory registration; or
- The registered person wants to cancel their registration on account of change in business circumstances such as change in constitution, ceasing to exist, amalgamation, etc.
What are the benefits of GST Registration Cancellation
There are various benefits of cancelling GST registration which are as follows:
- It helps in saving compliance cost as a registered person is required to file monthly/quarterly/annual return even if there is nil tax liability;
- Reduces the working capital blockage as input tax credit cannot be availed on unutilized inputs and input services unless the supplier has uploaded invoices on the common portal; and
- Helps in reducing the overall paperwork as a registered person is also required to maintain certain documents like sales register, purchase register, stock register, etc.
We we have given you a better understanding of GST registration cancellation in India. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.
Step-by-step guide to cancelling GST Registration
The process for cancelling your GST registration is as follows:
- Login to the GST Common Portal with your user ID and password.
- Navigate to the Services > Registration > Application for Cancellation of Registration option.
- Fill in the required details and upload the necessary documents.
- Submit the application and take note of the ARN (Application Reference Number) generated.
- An officer will verify your application and supporting documents, after which your registration will be cancelled. You will receive a cancellation certificate via email or post.
Cancelling GST Registration online
You can also cancel your GST registration online through the GST Common Portal, by following these steps:
- Login to the portal with your user ID and password.
- Navigate to the Services > Registration > Online Cancellation of Registration option.
- Select the reason for cancellation from the drop-down menu and enter all other required information.
- Submit the form and take note of the ARN (Application Reference Number) generated.
- Your registration will be cancelled within 15 days from date of submission, after which you will receive a cancellation certificate via email or post.
Cancelling GST Registration offline
If you prefer, you can also cancel your registration offline by submitting a signed physical copy of Form GST REG-14 to your concerned tax authority, along with any other required documents. Tax Rupees professional services help you in getting your GSTIN cancelled.
Get GST Registration Camcellation online with Tax Rupees
Did you know that you can now cancel or surrender GST online in Chandigarh with Tax Rupees?
Yes, that’s right!
We are a leading provider of online GST registration cancellation in Chandigarh.
We also offer a range of other services such as GST return filing
, GST LUT filing, GST registration
, and GST annual return filing.
So what are you waiting for? Contact us today to get started